Friday, 3 June 2011

Matchbox - Mercedes-Benz 300E (W124)

Unlike most of the unrealistic, ugly & revolting Matchbox cars of today, the ones made in the 1980s are, in my humble opinion, one of the best qualities around. The designs are very similar to the real thing, & for some reason, there are more normal version of sedan cars produced by Matchbox in that era. 

I first saw this car in some magazines about 18 years ago. I told myself I ought to get one of these as part of my toy cars collection. Unfortunately 18 years went by without the slight sign of luck in obtaining these. Then came eBay (and boy, eBay is REALLY the place you should always look around), and I bought the brand new mint car in the box from a UK seller. A week later when I met my Singaporean friend, I bought the heavily-used unit from him. How ironic....

For this W124, there are two versions; one is with the protruding bonnet batch which are shown in the following pictures, and one is obviously without. I prefer to have the former.





The brand new unit on the left versus the high mileage, heavily-used car on the right

Just look at the handsome, sturdy German marque.....

No comments:

Post a Comment